Brant Foundation Art Study Center
The renovation and addition to a 1902 stone barn creates a suitable environment for the display of contemporary art. The large volume of space is transformed by the insertion of a new structure that is held back from the exterior walls on three sides. At one end, it creates a double-height gallery measuring 1,750 sf for the display of large-scale artworks. On the mezzanine level of the new structure is a 1,500 sf gallery that sits beneath the filigree of the exposed, light-weight wood roof trusses; below is an intimate 2,300 sf gallery. An 88’ x 25’ skylight extends over the full length of the exhibition spaces, introducing diffused natural light. A new stone, grass and mahogany terrace wraps the building and integrates it into the landscape, while providing informal seating for the adjacent polo field.
1 - David Heald